If you are pondering the purchase of a gas grill, but have no idea where to begin, don’t worry! With the many choices of gas grills currently on the market, we are here to make sure you find one that fits your needs, preferences, and budget. This buyer’s guide is designed to give you a large range of gas grill options with a variety of prices, styles, and features to choose from. Consequently, we hope to narrow down your search by sharing with you our top picks for the best outdoor gas grills in 2017.
Let’s get started!
Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Gas Grill
Before we get started with our top pick reviews, we’d like to share with you some vital information when considering the purchase of a grill. To begin, don’t purchase the first gas grill that catches your eye! It is easy to be swayed towards one due to appearance, cost or perhaps features. However, looking around and comparing products using these factors will help you come to a wise decision. If you don’t know where to start, assure yourself that the gas grill you select has the following features:
- Multiple Burners – To have a successful cookout, you want to be sure your grill has at least two burners. Don’t bother with any grills that only include one burner since you won’t achieve an even heat distribution with anything fewer than two. The more burners your grill includes, the better!
- Quality – A high-quality gas grill should last you several years. The better ones on the market are usually made from stainless steel, cast aluminum or brass. These materials are corrosion-resistant and built from heavy gauge materials to last consumers a long time. If you notice that your grill is poorly made, don’t bother purchasing it as it will let you down within a couple of years.
- Lid – This may seem like common sense, however, many grills (including expensive ones) may not come with a lid. This limits the type of cooking you do drastically as you’ll want a lid to keep foods warm and achieve better results.
- Fuel Types – If you haven’t considered how you plan on fueling your gas grill, now is the time to do so. You have two options: propane or natural gas. The main difference between the two is that propane gas grills can be moved around since they only require a portable refillable tank. On the other hand, natural gas gives you the option of connecting your grill to your homes natural gas plumbing. The advantage here is that you’ll never need to refill a gas tank, however, your gas grill will most likely become stationary.
- Warranty – Higher quality grills will normally come with longer warranties. Ironically, when purchasing a high-value gas grill, you will never need to use the warranty because the product itself is well refined and reliable. It is however, always nice to know that the manufacturer stands behind their product and is willing to cover any malfunctions you may encounter.
If you find a reputable gas grill with these traits, you are off to a great start! Of course, there are many other factors to consider before making a large investment such as this one. The ideal gas grill for you depends on your intended use, taste and budget. If you plan on using it only occasionally for small gatherings, don’t waste your money on a high-end, thousand-dollar gas grill. However, if you plan on having large cookouts and don’t mind the extra expense, you will benefit greatly from one of our pricier picks!
- Char-Broil Quickset 3 Burner Model #463742215
Let’s begin with the least expensive gas grill on our buyer’s guide. You can obtain this grill for a little under $200. However, don’t let this low price discourage you. If you are content with a grill that will last you a couple of years, cook well, and do a nice job of grilling burgers and hot dogs (nothing too fancy) this is a good option for you.
The Char-Broil Quickset includes three stainless steel burners for quality cooking performance. It includes a porcelain-coated steel lid and is great for small BBQ’s. Due to the low cost of this grill, if a part were to ever need replacement, we would not recommend spending money on repairing your grill. It may be a better option to consider a new purchase. Again, always consider warranty prior to purchasing to get the most out of your money.
- 3 burners
- Lifespan: 2-3 years
- Not a heavy-duty model
- Weber Spirit E-310 Liquid Propane Gas Grill
The second selection on our list is the 3-burner Spirit Gas Grill from Weber. You can purchase this gas grill for about $500. It is very versatile and includes two full-use stainless steel tables to place food platters on and to use for prep. The three burners use 32,000 BTU/hour and are made of high-grade stainless steel. They can be cleaned easily and evenly distribute heat across the entire cooking grate.
Consequently, the grill itself includes a large cooking area (424 square inches) and warming area (105 square inches). If you are unsure about what this means, it means that you’ll have enough room to cook a 20-pound turkey! This selection also boasts an innovative Flavorizer system, which adds flavor to your meal, as well as a grease management system that takes care of excessive grease.
This selection shows that you do not have to spend a fortune to obtain a good quality gas grill. Other benefits include six tool hooks, a thermometer and an enclosed cart with casters. This grill includes a fuel gauge to let you know exactly where you stand on fuel at any given time. A feature that may be considered a disadvantage is the need of a 20-pound LP tank to operate which is not included with this purchase.
- Relatively inexpensive
- Innovative Flavorizer bar system
- Grease management
- Requires 20-pound LP tank (not included)
- Weber Genesis II SE-410 Special Edition Propane Gas Grill
For a little under $1,000, you can obtain a more stylish grill made of stainless steel components and a variety of versatile features. Apart from the sleek look of this selection, there is so much to love from the Weber Special Edition Propane grill. There are four key features that allow this gas grill to distinguish itself from the rest. The four key features include an electronic ignition system, burners with high-performance output and endurance, a flavorizer bar system, and system for grease management.
Additionally, the Weber Genesis includes porcelain enameled, cast iron cooking grates ideal for all types of meats including fish, shrimp, and meat, among other delicacies. It includes a thin side and a wider side to enhance the flavor of your food. With over 30 years of grilling and culinary experience, Weber has created this innovative gas grill to give clients a great product at a great price.
Other features that make this grill a great selection are the side tables with integrated hooks to keep your platters, tools, and seasonings within arms-reach. Like mentioned before, Weber offers lengthy warranties, assuring you a gas grill designed to last several years.
- Generous warranty
- Variety in colors
- Relatively expensive
- Napoleon P500RSIBPSS Prestige Propane Grill
Our final—and most expensive—selection is the Napoleon Prestige Propane Grill. For about $1,500 you will greatly benefit from this luxury grill. Not only is it capable of any grilling task, but the cooking technology within it make it one of the best gas grills on the market. It has everything you can imagine with the capabilities of a full outdoor kitchen.
This gas grill includes 4 main burners with 1 infrared rear burner and 1 infrared side burner, giving you the option to cook in at least 8 different ways. The high-end quality material used ensures several years of grilling, and the manufacturers are also including a generous warranty. Consequently, the stainless steel propane grill offers a variety of amenities to make your outdoor grilling experience a breeze. Enjoy the “sizzle zone” for steaks with WAVE rod stainless steel cooking grids and a dual level stainless steel sear plates.
Additional features include 900 square inches of cooking area, a lift ease roll top lid, an infrared rear rotisserie burner, 78,500 BTU’s and so much more! With its multiple burners, generous warranty and high-quality make, we guarantee this will be the best propane grill you will ever own!
- Capabilities of a full outdoor kitchen
- SIZZLE ZONE ideal for steaks
- WAVE rod stainless steel cooking grids
- 6 burners
In summary, gas grills are great for several reasons. They make friend and family gatherings memorable, are great gifts, and you don’t have to worry about handling dirty charcoal or cleaning up leftover ash! Not to mention that gas grills heat up faster than other types. We hope this buyer’s guide and gas grills review has narrowed down your choices and helps you find the gas grill right for you. Best of luck and happy grilling!